OpenTTD's survey is opt-in: it will not send any data unless you explicitly say you want to participate. If you participate, the game will send a survey result whenever you leave a game, whether by loading another, going to the main menu, exiting the game, or if the game crashes.
The survey has been designed around a few ground rules:
- No personal data and no data to track a specific user.
- The user is in control: you can opt-out at any time, and review the survey result at any time (via "Game Options" in-game).
- Minimize how often we send survey results.
With this in mind, we collect the following information of every game:
- The settings as they are at the end of the game.
- The NewGRFs used by the game.
- The companies, whether they are human or AI, and in case of AI: what script was running. Additionally, how many vehicles and infrastructure each company has.
- How long the game has been running.
- Basic information about your OS / CPU.
This information is used on this website to show statistics about how OpenTTD is used.